The SOL-LA Instrumental Music Program at Saint Anne School is based on the belief that music education positively affects other areas of learning, and that music can bridge gaps across diverse cultures and communities. Our music mentors provide quality and innovative arts education to children from all backgrounds and income levels, at a Santa Monica Title I school, that could not otherwise offer music instruction.
Music Mentors – High School
As part of student’s community service, high school musicians volunteer their time to be peer practice mentors for students at Saint Anne School. Providing a consistent practice schedule with mentoring from older musicians and the opportunity to play in an orchestra setting is just the kind of inspiration that budding artists need. All scheduling is overseen by a mentor coordinator and faculty member at SOL-LA.
Music Mentors – College Level
Students in grades 4 through 7 receive one hour of music instruction each week with a SOL-LA instructor. This instruction is reinforced with the afterschool mentorship program, which runs four days per week. This time is allotted to provide extra practice time for the students, and to reinforce what they are learning in their classes and to work on their orchestral repertoire. Mentors will be responsible for making sure each student is preparing repertoire as assigned by the director.
All music mentors should be actively pursuing, or have obtained, a music degree in the instrument/subject area they applying to teach. Prior teaching experience is not required, but is advised. Mentors must have the ability to lead music classes and lessons, encourage creativity, and foster musical growth as a group and individually.
Mentors must commit to teaching at least one day per week regularly, and be willing to meet the demands of time and commitment necessary to maintain an after school music program of excellence. Applicants with proficiency in violin and cello are especially desired. Each mentor will work with 10-20 children per hour of mentoring.
Mentor Weekly Responsibilities:
- Consistently attend classes on assigned mentoring days.
- Lead classes in violin, cello, or music theory in both group and individual settings, as directed.
- Assist the orchestra director with instrument tuning, sectional work, and classroom management, and set-up/clean-up on orchestra days.
- Work under the direction and advisement of the Mentor Coordinator on daily assigned lesson plans/activities.
- Help implement participation and attendance standards.
- Actively reinforce the SOL-LA Music Academy and Saint Anne School Code of Conduct.
- Respond in a timely fashion to email and phone communications with the Mentor Coordinator.
- Attend school string presentations and performances.
Please contact SOL-LA at [email protected] for more information and to apply.